24 March 2010

Cliffhanger

The cliff seemed so daunting; a rocky, tall height, falling into something akin to nothingness. It frightened me just to glance at the bottom.
A gust of wind surprised me. I crossed my arms and stepped back with extreme care and tentativeness, attempting to assuage the goose bumps and chills and fear that surged through my veins. Hell, why was I even here? I never asked to be dumped on the edge of a cliff.
As the wind came whistling in my ears again, I became aware of the woman beside me. Her long, golden locks of hair trailed with the breeze as she calmly glided her fingers to retrieve a loose strand of hair and tuck it behind her ears. I caught sight of her lovely blue eyes before she-with an indescribable, natural elegance - closed them, while her rose lips tasted the sky.
Immediately, I noticed she was tiptoeing right on the precipice.
"Aren't you scared?" I questioned, raising my voice because I was a few good feet behind her.
Before she turned to face me, her heels rejoined with the ground.
"Of course I am," she replied, not the least bit angered. "But it's exhilarating. You should try it."
No thank you, my mind replied. She resumed to her former position.
"Don't you fear that you might fall over?" I pressed on further. "Isn't there someone back at home who fears for you? Parents? Friends? Siblings?" Her body shook with sarcastic laughter as I added, "Loved ones?"
"There's no one who loves me back at home," she declared.
"But there must be someone," I backfired, concerned for her. "You're very beautiful. Someone must think so."
All she could give was a subtle shake of the head.
"Beauty doesn't buy you anything."
A breeze flew by again, more violent this time. The woman's body rocked back and forth ever so slightly, so close to falling over. Yet, she didn't do anything about it. I couldn't believe it.
"Alright, say I pushed you over," I blurted tactlessly, "and you'll die once you hit the bottom. Just a few seconds of the wind before your life ends. Would you enjoy that?"
Once again, her heels lowered. And she spoke in a whisper as quiet as the wind, "Yes."
My eyes widen. "What?
Why?"
Another breeze. She waited for it to subside, at which she replied,
"Because for once in my whole, entire, damn life, I'll feel
alive."
"..."
With respect, I feel into a hush. I didn't need to look at her to see the tears that glistened in her eyes, rolled down her cheeks, contorted her face with a pain I would never be able to understand.
The breeze never came back.
Yours truly, Isabel.


Short story:
(c) "Cliffhanger" by Isabel, 24 Mar 2010

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com